Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Art of Deciding Where to Move

The job search is in full force.  My resume is out to various places, I've added a new round to the cover letter roulette, and I've been tapping into people I've networked with to keep and open eye (or ear) for openings where they are.

At first, I mainly applied for jobs back home and where I currently live.  There are a few reasons why I have focused in these two areas, which I probably don't have to really explain as they apply to almost everyone applying for jobs.


  • The areas are familiar to me ie. I know where things are.
  • There are people I know in these areas.
  • Moving (or not if I stay here) would be easier than moving anywhere else.
  • Going to job interviews is a lot easier.

Now, I'm starting to branch out and apply to other places, even some overseas.  At first I thought of it as a last resort.  However, the more I thought about it, moving to a whole new city or country even, may be easier than I originally thought.

For one thing, I have no family of my own.  I don't have anyone who would have to move with me.  Therefore, it would just be me (and the cats) moving and we can go wherever I so please.  Though if I was to move overseas, \my parents agreed that the cats can bunk with them.

Also, I already gone through the hardest part of relocating when I moved here for school.  It was the first time not only to move to a new town, but also the first time moving out of my parent's house.  If I move again (especially if it's closer to my hometown), I know it won't be as hard as the first time.  Unless it's overseas, but that has it's own difficulties.

With that being said, it would be exciting to move to a whole new area.  Especially if the area offers a lot for someone my age like my current city.


I know I'm going to hear about this from my mother after she reads this but there is actually a disadvantage to moving back home if it comes down to a job here or a job back home.  I have set up my adult life here.  It's my first time not living at home, I have made a decent amount of friends here, this city is the hub for my field (my hometown is on the list of top dying cities and very little in terms of jobs for someone like me), and I have finally been able to have time to explore different areas and attractions in this city.


However, with my current main job ending on Friday, at this point, whichever place hires this awesome candidate is going to have the pleasure of having me for a resident.

No comments: