Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Art of Job Creativity

As the weeks wind down on my current job, and the job market for people like me remains the same (ie sucks because while there are jobs, there are also a lot of people who are in the same boat as me), I have started to think about alternative careers to sustain me for a while until a job that could use my degree pops up.  Here are my thoughts (note: a job-job is a job that will use my graduate degree to it's fullest extent, a job is one that doesn't):

1. I could continue to work at the pharmacy, just work more hours (which I know the pharmacists there will probably jump for joy when they read this) and pick up a second, similar paying job.  Money will be tight even if I continue my current 50 hour work weeks, but at least will be coming in.  If push comes to shove, probability of doing: 90%

2. I could find another temporary job (in my current city, I'm not moving to do this crap again) that needs my degree, or something close to it.  Or like my current job that wanted a recent grad or second year student (my program generally takes two years to complete).  The pay may not be as high as a regular job, but it adds experience to the resume.   If push comes to shove, probability of doing: 100% (in current city) 60% (in another city).

3. Work at a museum.  Science (ideal), history, or even art if they'll take me.  I've wanted to work in a museum and I already volunteer at one (which is hiring part time education assistants and volunteer service associates right now).  If I can't find a job-job might as well do something I'll probably never be able to do again.  If push comes to shove, probability of doing: 70%

4. Become an author.  I've written chapter books since I was 8.  No lie, I still have the very first one I ever started.  Of course, this would require me to actually finish novels.  Would probably be able to do considering soon I will have a lot more free time.   If push comes to shove, probability of doing: 50% because it will take a few years to make a noticeable profit.

5. Go back to school.  For a PhD.....not in this field.  Partly because my grades are not straight A's and for PhD programs that matters.  Actually, after a couple years I may do that anyways and then you all would have to call me Dr. Epilogical.  I'm thinking anthropology, that way I still can satisfy option 3, just on a grander scale (and if I do option 3 followed by this, it counts as relative experience).  Or maybe micro- or marine- biology.  If push comes to shove, probability of doing: 80%, you know, assuming I actually am confident I would be accepted into a program.

6. Get a fellowship.  They typically only last 1 to 2 years but, it's in my field and I may actually find one in the area I like.  Plus, it can be added as relative experience for an actual job-job.  I didn't include this as temp job because.....in my mind it's different.  If push comes to shove, probability of doing: 100% (in current city) 90% (in another city, partly because I don't want to have to move a third time after it ends and start in a new place all over again.)

7. Get  job that could use my undergrad degree.  I never actually have used my undergrad degree, with the exception of applying to grad school which is a whole other field, though I guess you can say they're pseudo-related.  Regardless, it would technically make me underemployed but at least I would be making more than I am now (and be able to actually work in a lab which is kind of what I wished I done the year between graduating from college and starting grad school).  If push comes to shove, probability of doing: 100% assuming it would be easier to find a job than a job-job.

8. Get one of those per diem consulting jobs in my field that no one else really does because they actually have a job or think they're too good for it.  I can consult.  I always have an opinion and will be willing help a company for money.  If push comes to shove, probability of doing: 100%, in fact I would probably do it even if I do find a job-job and use the money for a vacation fund to Germany/Switzerland.

9.  Become a blackjack dealer.  Shut up, it would be entertaining and you know you secretly want to yourself.  If push comes to shove, probability of doing: 20%

10.  Become a pro bowler.  Of course, that would require me to start bowling again.  Grad school kind of kept me away from that.  Plus that would be awesome to put on a resume!  If push comes to shove, probability of doing: 30%.


If anyone has any interesting suggestions, serious or entertaining, feel free to comment below.  Or share your own experiences because I would like to feel like I'm not the only one who has had this problem (because I know I'm not).

No comments: