Thursday, May 3, 2012

Loud Annoying Neighbors

I looked at my stats recently for this blog and noticed two things:
1. The 3 top viewed posts were humor
2. People like to read about things that can pertain to them



Anyways, I decided to do another life changing entry on obnoxious, loud, annoying neighbors.  I've had my share.  Not so much growing up, we lived in a quiet old people neighborhood.  By that I mean most of the original owners still lived in the houses (circa 1950 built).

No Initial Problems
I decided to go to grad school 1,000 miles away from home.  Which means I had to move into an apartment.  A one bedroom 680 square foot apartment.  When I filled out the application, I told them I just didn't want to be on the bottom floor.  So I was put on the second floor, meaning I had one person below me and one person above me.  Well, actually there was no one above me when I first moved in and I'm pretty sure there was no one below me either.  The majority of the building was actually vacant.  I'm sure the train tracks that were behind us may have had a little to do with the fact that maybe no one wanted to live in that particular building.

Clumsy and Stereos
A couple of months after moving in, I got some actual neighbors.  They weren't too bad, except for the guy above me having a problem holding on to things because I would routinely hear a sudden loud bang above me every....single....night.  The neighbor below me....well, let's just say he had a lot of girlfriends spend the night.  He also liked to play music a little loudly at night (midnight night, not 8pm night).  Well, one night I was so frustrated while studying (in the bedroom) that, I decided to express my irritation.  While still sitting in my chair, I lifted up both my feet and then slammed them on the floor.  It made a really loud noise, louder than I expected.  But it did the trick: the music went silent immediately following.  In fact, I never had a problem with him playing loud music again after that.  Then he moved out.

More Stereos, Friends, and Late Night Strolls
So, a year or so after both neighbors moved it, they moved out.  I'm guessing they didn't like the trains.  Anyways, another person moved in below me.  This one liked to have friends over and when they weren't over, he liked to talk extremely loudly on his phone.  After one night, I decided to complain to the leasing office.  The guy had thrown a party Saturday night (or maybe it was Friday) that lasted late.  Past 2am late.  They were inside and out on the porch so I wasn't the only neighbor who could hear them.  I could even hear them over the train.  Anyways, he was quiet for the next couple months, which was all I needed because I was moving to a larger apartment (that was not next to the train tracks).  However, the person above me liked to go for late night walks.  In her apartment.  Seriously, every night starting at around 11pm (or later) she would walk from the bedroom to the living room to the bedroom to the living room......for over an hour.  I wanted to yell: what are you doing up there?

More Friends
I moved into a larger apartment within the same complex.  My new neighbors were quiet at night.  A few months after moving, a new neighbor(s) moved into the building across from mine.  Who had friends over always.  And they liked to hang out in the parking lot and talk loudly at night.  So loudly that one of my neighbors got in a vocal argument with them at 2am one time.  Long story short, a bunch of us continuously complained to the leasing office.  I was the final straw at one point.  I remember, I walked into the leasing office to complain for the third time with my arms folded and a glare on my face.  I must've looked pissed because the one girl actually backed up into her office when she saw me.  Well, they ushered me into the manager's office who then said that she has had it and was evicting them.  Apparently, I found out that while one guy filled out the application to live there (good) his 3 friends who were also living there didn't (bad, everyone who lives there has to at least fill out an application while only one is needed for the credit check).  Must've been cramped because it was the same size as my old apartment (680 sq ft 1 bedroom).  At least the train wasn't nearby.

Voices In Her Head
Well, the loud people were evicted.  My next adventure is with one of my neighbors who apparently hears voices in her head.  At least according to the leasing office.  See, she complained to them that she hears loud people at night and that it was coming from my apartment.  Leasing office knew I wan't to blame and even told her so.  One night she decided to verify it by knocking on my door.  Well, since I was the only one home and wasn't arguing with myself, I think that convinced her.

Hypocritical
So, neighbor who complains of loudness, decided one night to throw a party to quiet the voices in her head. It lasted past 3am.  Lucky for me, I couldn't hear it from my bedroom.  A week ago, she decided to act out the argument in her head with her own version.  At 1:30am her and another person were having a heated argument.  After 15 minutes one of them finally left.  I found out the next day in the leasing office that she is moving out in the next couple of months.  Hopefully the voices go with her.  I've been tempted to ask if she hears trains too.



So, what does one do about loud, obnoxious neighbors?  Here is a list of ideas that I *might* have done on my own (or just read other people have done).  Please be advised that you may want to warn your other neighbors before doing some of these.  Heck, they may even join in if they are annoyed as well.


  • Neighbor playing loud music at night?  Play loud music in the morning.  5am is a decent time.  I prefer the finale of 1812 (with the cannons).  
  • On days that they are not playing their music, play the opposite of what they seem to prefer.  For example, if they play rap then play bluegrass (note: make sure they are home).
  • Loud lovemaking?  Open your window and yell "encore!" and clap loudly.  Trust me, the female will more than likely be mortified and be a little quieter next time.
  • Anytime you hear a loud argument, mention your opinion on the matter next time you see the neighbor.  For example, if they are arguing about what type of car they should get, just mention to your neighbor when they walk by "I agree with your wife/boyfriend/partner, the Nissan is definitely more practical"
  • Have textbooks, "drop" them on occasion (who knew you would actually use them after the semester ends).
  • Have a loud conversation with your "lawyer" about your murder trial


These are just a few suggestions.  Of course, there's the practical just call the police and complain to the leasing office.  Have any of your own suggestions?  Feel free to add them in a comment below.  Also, feel free to share this blog with friends using the links below.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Walking around in shoes vs barefoot makes it louder for neighbors below.