Sunday, May 20, 2012

Carlos Museum Review (Part 1)

To mix things up a bit, I decided to do a museum review of the permanent exhibits at the Carlos Museum.  Please note, that this is a review of both the actual exhibits and an overall experience a patron might have (including difficulties I had while there).  Unlike my Mirko Pasta review, this was not my first visit.  I have been to this museum for a few lectures by some of their curators including their curator of Egyptian art and curator of African art.  As a quick side note: I've enjoyed the lectures I've listened to from both these curators.  I have yet to be able to go to one from one of the other curators but do intend to if I'm available at the time.

Also, I couldn't go through the whole museum in one day.  For this visit, I only had 2 1/2 hours due to other commitments and so only viewed half of the exhibits.  Originally, I wanted to do this all in one visit by spending an entire Saturday there but their Ancient American Galleries were being closed on May 21st and won't open again until January in order to be redone.  So I'm hoping some of the things I mention here may be in their plans to change as well.  In order to include this exhibit, my first trip was on May 19th.

Overall summary of the museum and major positives and drawbacks this museum will be at the end of part two of this review.

Arrival
I arrived at the museum and entered on the main gallery level.  I love the doors to this museum.  I'll try to remember to take a picture next Saturday. I was greeted by the front desk personnel and gave her the guest pass I had.  Normally, admissions is $8 for adults.  She offered me a map of the museum and I was on my way.  What I do find to be semi-odd is the floor in this area.  Definitely different that that of the rest of the museum.  I don't not like it but it doesn't seem to flow with the rest of the museum since the exhibits have hardwood floors.


Ancient American
Since this one is the one closing in two days, I decided to start here.  This gallery has plenty of space to walk around in.  Definitely would not damper anyone's visit if there are other visitors in the same area for that reason.  The room right next to the entrance had an interesting view when I looked up:


I found it unique because none of the other rooms has something like this.  I'm curious as to whether this is because of an addition or was done on purpose.  Also, in the second room, when you look down, you see a map of the Inka road system.


There are a variety of objects in this exhibit including pottery, weaved art, and metals.  One thing I noticed is that the structures holding the objects are painted the same color as the actual object, right down to the pattern.  I don't think this was something I noticed right away until I was looking at an object closely and saw that.

One thing I personally enjoyed was all the pieces they have depicting Shamanism.  It's a personal interest of mine (along with mummies, but we'll get to that).

Negatives
Some aspects about the gallery that ruined my experience a little:

  1. Footsteps echo.  I felt like I was in the middle of the museums version of Jaws when another visitor was walking towards the room I was in.
  2. Voices echo.  I was in the back of the exhibit and could still hear very clearly the conversations going on at the front desk.  When you're like me and want to concentrate on what you're reading, it can be kind of hard.
  3. Some of the exhibit informational plates are not lit well.  I had to actually bend over to read some of the descriptions for some of them.  Below is an example of one of the rooms where I had this problem (note: even though I didn't use flash, these images appear a little brighter than it actual was).


Positives
Some aspects about the gallery I enjoyed:
  1. The rooms are fairly large.  If there are others in the area with you, you wouldn't feel overcrowded.
  2. The variety of actual pieces AND from different geographic areas.  I felt the exhibit flowed nicely in how the items were grouped/located
  3. There were not too many objects in each display case.  I'm always irritated when there are because then I stand there for a long period of time and feel bad if other people are trying to look.
  4. A particular object had a mirror placed behind it so that you could see the back of it (which was actually the face of a figure on the particular bowl).  

Greek and Roman
Once I was at the end of the Ancient American Galleries, I found myself right in the Ancient Greek Gallery.  I knew without reading or looking at anything because the walls were another color all together.  This exhibit had a variety of pieces including statues, funeral items, pottery, plates, and jewelry.  One thing that confused me about this exhibit was that some of the larger stone items were not behind glass while some were.  I wondered what went into that decision or whether it mattered at all.  I could easily see a kid reaching out and touching those items if s/he felt no one was looking.  Or adults for that matter.  Anyways, the main area of the gallery was dark (note: once again, the photo makes it appear lighter than it actual was):

Notice how everything is set up on pillars? I could see a handicapped individual possibly having some difficulty maneuvering around this section.  It does have a unique look to it though  Unlike the previous gallery that went from room to room, this was one large room with 4 smaller ones branching off.

I also was able to recognize those pieces that were in the Monster, Demons, and Winged Beasts from last year.

One poorly placed information plaque was for the Iliupersis (Sack of Troy).  It's knee level so I have to bend down to read it.  Definitely poor planning.



Negatives
  1. Location, location, location."Please see handheld label for more information" was what one plaque said. It actually took me a minute to locate it on the wall in the middle of the room.
  2. I noticed while reading the information for one exhibit, it also referred to objects in others areas.  I'm sure they were in the exhibit right across from the one I was looking at, but I wasn't overly ambitious at this point because:
  3. Information overload.  There are some display cases that have so many objects in them, it's hard to focus on each one individually.  Granted, they're small but I still feel like I stand there for extended periods of time looking (something I didn't have to worry about in the previous gallery).  Luckily, there weren't others around waiting.
Positives
  1. Even though some of the rooms were dim, the exhibition plates were still well lit and therefore, easy to read.  With the exception of the low one mentioned above.
  2. There were plenty of small pieces in the exhibit.  To make some of the details easier, magnifying glasses were placed so one can view closer.
  3. Some objects have clearly been broken (when discovered I assume) and you can see the cracks on them.  I was informed by one of the curators in a previous conversation that they intentionally put these within view.  I prefer this since it shows what state the objects are found.

Asian
This is a very small exhibit.  It is also very dark in there!  Just and interesting thing that I never noticed before this visit: When you enter, before actually going in to the room, look to the left and up.  Hello!  Regardless, it's a small exhibit, probably the smallest in the museum in terms of permanent collections but still gives a lot of information.  I used to study Buddhism as a past time and was pleased with the objects they had regarding the religion.

The room is very cramped though.  There were two other people there with me and it was a little difficult to move around when we were looking at objects near each other.


African
I have to go into a story about my first visit to the museum in which I went with a friend.  This exhibit is almost impossible to find for some.  We could not find it.  Unfortunately, when there is no special exhibit up, you can't walk through that area.  The only to it is to go up a flight of stairs that leads right into the exhibit.  However, the stairs are not too easy to find.  During my visit for this post, I could hear people asking at the front desk on how to get to it and had to have someone show them the stairs.  



Not exactly the most inviting looking area.  Stairs are in this area, to the left.  You can only see them if you actually go in (or see the sign saying that the African exhibit is upstairs).

What's up those stairs?  What other exhibits are there that I couldn't go through yet?  You either must visit yourself or wait until I visit next week.

No comments: